Domestic Abuse/Violence

Protection from Domestic Abuse

Abuse can come in many forms; physical, emotional, psychological and sexual.   At Pearson Solicitors we can offer advice and assistance if you are suffering from abuse, from either a partner or a family member.  Warning letters, which often help, can be sent to the abuser and if need be court proceedings can be issued to seek the court’s protection. 

There are two main types of protection that you can seek from the court:

  1. You can apply for a non-molestation order (commonly referred to as an injunction) which will protect you personally and can extend to cover your children if necessary.  This order can specify that the other person is not to harass or intimidate you, make threats towards you, contact you in any way or specify that they are not to come near to your property.
  2. You can apply for an occupation order.  This type of order sets out who can live in a property, what rights you have to a property and can enforce property rights.  If you need to remain in the property it could exclude the other person or set out restrictions on how you both live in the property if that has to be the short term case.

Domestic Abuse Help

We can also put you in touch with other organisations that can offer support and advice. Contact us for more information.

Contact a Domestic Abuse Solicitor

To seek advice in relation to any of these issues please contact one of our family solicitors who will discuss matters confidentially and sensitively with you. Or call 0161 785 3500 or email

Latest News

Divorced Overseas? English Family Judges Can Still Help You!

If you have been divorced abroad but are habitually resident in this country, English family judges have the power to ensure that you receive a fair share of the marital assets. In a case on point , the High Court awarded a woman whose marriage was...

Court Returns Two-Year-Old to Land of Birth When Parents' Marriage Collapses

For a UK court to have jurisdiction over a family law case, it is necessary to show that at least one party to it has habitual residence in the UK. In a recent case, an Israeli woman divorcing her Israeli husband sought a declaration that their two-year-old...

Time of the Essence in Overturning Agreements Made Under Duress

We have often stressed the importance of obtaining high-quality legal advice in any dispute and starting any necessary legal action as soon as possible, and a recent divorce dispute illustrates why . It involved a couple who were divorced in 2015. The...

Court Appearance May Not Mean Public Disclosure

The principle of open courts is highly valued in the UK legal system. However, it is often a worry to people engaged in legal proceedings concerning family or marital issues that by going to court their family's private affairs will become public knowledge. ...

Ignore Court Orders At Your Peril

A wealthy Omani man who failed to pay to his ex-wife the financial settlement ordered by the court, or to cooperate with disclosure orders, faces arrest if he attempts to return to the UK. When the couple's marriage broke up, they were divorced under Omani...