Holiday Claims FAQs

It’s that time of year, holidays are our escape and we work hard for them, but what happens when you’re let down, Pearson’s holiday claims solicitor Ian Wolstenhulme is on hand with help and advice.

My holiday has been ruined how can I claim? 

Consider what happened and write down the key facts of purchasing the holiday, what happened, whether you reported any concerns, injury or incident and then contact a solicitor.

How can I claim for an incident abroad with a UK solicitor? 

First of all contact a local solicitor who is likely to offer you a free no obligation appointment. Tell the solicitor about your incident and what happened and he will be able to advise you on the options available to you.

I have had food poisoning/ an injury abroad/a cancelled holiday – what can I do on my return to the UK? 

On your return to the UK, first of all report to the tour company or agent what has happened, if you are or have suffered injury, food poisoning or some other illness from poor hygiene facilities, contact your doctor and make an urgent appointment to be seen. After this, contact your local solicitor for legal advice.

What can I claim for? 

Generally you can claim for any suffering, such as illness or injury, as well as any financial losses you incur as a result, such as medical treatments, medication (with receipts), loss of earnings and any assistance you may have required following incapacity.

How is it funded? 

This very much depends on your circumstances, it is always best to check home, car and credit card insurances to see if they cover legal expenses. You may be a member of a Union or professional body who offer legal cover. Otherwise a solicitor can look at dealing with any viable claim on a Conditional Fee Agreement basis, otherwise know as No Win No Fee. Full information on Conditional Fee Agreements can be obtained through a solicitor.

What do I have to prove? 

When you see a solicitor, he will consider your case and whether you are owed a duty of care by the holiday company or some other person or body, what you are alleging is likely to be an act that falls below what is considered a reasonable standard and that breaches their duty to you. He will also consider whether you are able to prove whether the breach of duty has caused you injury.

Does my holiday insurance cover legal expenses? 

In a nutshell, generally no, although a solicitor would be able to advise you further on this by reading the document.