Baby’s Medication Error
A four month old baby who had been suffering from colic was mistakenly given an adult anti-psychotic medication to treat Schizophrenia.
Medication Error Case
Our client's baby had presented signs of colic and reflux to the doctor and was prescribed Omeprazole, which is a medication for adults and children to treat indigestion and heartburn and acid reflux. The baby's mother collected the prescription from her local Moors Pharmacy and was unaware of the medication error.
She gave her baby what she thought was the prescribed medicine and her baby became restless, inconsolable and very agitated. The baby would not settle or feed and she became extremely worried.
The baby's condition continued to deteriorate for another 24 hours and as she was about to give him a second dose she realised to her horror that she had been given the wrong medication. Instead of Omeprazole she was mistakenly given a prescription for Olanzapine, an anti-psychotic drug prescribed for adults with schizophrenia.
The mother rushed her baby straight to hospital where he had to remain overnight for observation. During this period he experienced sleep apnoea, he went on to have a full further week of being groggy and agitated. Thankfully the baby went on to make a full and healthy recovery after suffering side effects to the incorrect medicine.
Compensation for Prescription Error
The client in this case came from the South of England and had been looking for a medical negligence solicitor with experience in prescription errors and cases when the wrong medication is given to patients by chemists and dispensing pharmacists.
The medical negligence solicitors at Pearsons were able to conduct the whole case via email and calls with the client and gain an out of court compensation settlement for the medication error. Thankfully there appears to have been no lasting side effects and we were able to achieve an out of court settlement for £2,000.
“Medicine is meant to make you feel better, but if the wrong medication is taken the side effects can some times be devastating. At Pearson Solicitors we would always advise people to check their prescription when they collect it from the chemist as sometimes prescription errors can happen and the wrong prescription be given,” said Medical Negligence Trainee Solicitor, Daniel Phelps, who handled the prescription error case.
“It is always worrying when a baby is ill, but for a baby to be given such a drastic medication by mistake and for the baby to have such a reaction must have been a worrying time for not only the mother but the whole family.
In this case we were able to act for her and get a swift resolution to the incident and compensation from the pharmacist.” added Daniel
Contact Our Medical Negligence Solicitors
If you or a family member have suffered as a result of a medication error or prescription dispensing mistake our medical negligence solicitors can help with a compensation claim.
We have solicitors experienced in prescription error claims so call us on 0161 785 3500 for a friendly no obligation chat or email email@example.comSubscribe to our newsletter
Please note that the information and opinions contained in this article are not intended to be comprehensive, nor to provide legal advice. No responsibility for its accuracy or correctness is assumed by Pearson Solicitors and Financial Advisers Ltd or any of its members or employees. Professional legal advice should be obtained before taking, or refraining from taking, any action as a result of this article.
This blog was posted some time ago and its contents may now be out of date. For the latest legal position relating to these issues, get in touch with the author - or make an enquiry now.